Being one of the most distinctive properties in the heart of this historic and thriving village in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, The Old School House is Grade II listed and offers versatile and adaptable accommodation to suit the lifestyle change family or retiring buyer as a permanent home or is equally ideal as a second home with a lucrative income due to its established holiday letting history.
The Accommodation Currently Comprises:
Main Residence: Ground Floor: Entrance Porch, Inner Hall, Living room, Kitchen / Dining Room. First floor: Landing, Master Bedroom with En Suite Shower Room, Family Bathroom, 2nd Bedroom.
Connecting Annexe: Kitchen, Shower Room, Bedroom.
Outside: Surrounding Gardens, Parking Facilities.
Location summary (distances and times are approximate)
Village Shop / Post Office: 100 yards. Public House: 50 yards. Church , Primary School and Bus Stop: 140 yards. Carne Beach and South West Coastal Path: 1.2 miles. Veryan Riding Centre: 1 mile. St Just Boatyard: 6 miles. King Harry Car Ferry: 5.8 miles. Truro: 11 miles. St Mawes: 7 miles. Cornwall Airport Newquay: 21 miles (regular daily flights to London Heathrow, 70 mins). St Austell: 13 miles (London Paddington 4 hours by fast train).
Veryan and Veryan Green comprise a most pleasant village famous for its 'Round Houses' in the beautiful Roseland Peninsula, and offers a true village community with a post office/mini-market, primary school, church, an excellent pub and a Sports and Social club (including indoor bowls). It is also a conservation area and is approximately 1.2 miles walk from the unspoiled Carne beach. There are many lovely country walks in and around the village, and the Cornish Coastal Path is also within easy reach. The Cathedral City of Truro and administrative centre for Cornwall is 11 miles away with excellent shopping and schooling facilities. The King Harry Ferry provides a short cut to Falmouth and leads to the far west. The sailing centre and exclusive coastal village of St Mawes is within 7 miles.
Veryan: Historical Note
Veryan is most famous for its nineteenth century thatched Round Houses. There are five in all, two pairs of which stand at each end of the village and another in the centre. They were originally built by a missionary, named Reverend Jeremiah Trist, for his daughters. The present name of the village is a corruption of St Symphorian, the Parish saint, which in 1525 had become St Severian leading eventually to St Veryan. Close to Veryan is Carne Beacon, a Bronze Age grass covered barrow and reputedly the burial place of the legendary 6th century chieftain, Gereint of Dumnonia from whom the nearby village of Gerrans gets its name. Not far from there is Veryan Castle, a small Iron Age hill fort.
The Old School House: A Brief History
The Old School House was originally built circa 1812 by Hugh Rowe of Lostwithiel as a 'school for industry' for girls on behalf of the Reverend Jeremiah Trist, who was also responsible for the building of a boys school on the site of the present primary school, as well as the famous detached 'Round Houses'. Originally single storey, The Old School House remained a girls school for around 70 years until a larger school was built. In 1884 it is probable that the bedrooms in the roof were added when the property was re-thatched where it became the village school-master's house for approximately a further 75 years. In the late 1950's, the property was purchased requiring modernisation from the diocese by the Neale family.
Our client's parents (who lived opposite) bought the The Old School House from the Neale's in 1977. It went through a further phase of modernisation and improvements over the years keeping the integrity of the building and leading to the re-thatch in 2018.
The Old School House has been extensively and sympathetically modernised over the years but the original ground floor layout remains along with the abundant character features.
The property is approached from the road via a driveway with ample parking, this leads to the entrance porch, which is shared with the annexe. French doors open into the entrance hall with a turning staircase to the first floor, door to the living room and entrance to the kitchen. The elegant living room has the unique deep round bay window flanked by glazed doors leading to the garden, stone fireplace (not currently in use) and flagstone floor. The well-equipped modern kitchen diner has integrated appliances including dishwasher, double oven, hob and extractor hood, fridge and freezer together with a freestanding washing machine. Character features include an arched window with unusual paved window seat, flagstone floor and inglenook fireplace.
A galleried landing with sitting area leads to the master bedroom with en suite contemporary shower room. The bedroom features a large round bay window enjoying delightful views of the village and rural landscape beyond. The second bedroom is dual aspect with a pretty dormer window to the side elevation and dressing area. The spacious and luxurious contemporary bathroom comprises a corner bath, double walk in shower, wc, bidet and vanity wash basin.
The self contained annexe has also been extensively refurbished in recent years. The dual aspect living room has a well-equipped kitchen with integrated appliances including a washing machine, tumble drier, fridge, hob with extractor hood over. There is a small dining sitting area, a wet room and a double bedroom which overlooks the garden.
To the rear of the property is a secluded level garden which is mostly laid to lawn and enjoys the village and rural views, as does the stone paved veranda and a stone path gives pedestrian access to the village. A larger south facing terraced garden at the front is arranged on two levels that are mostly laid to lawn and both are surrounded by a Cornish stone hedge along with trees and shrubs to offer shelter and privacy.
Mains water, electricity and drainage. Telephone (broadband enabled) and television points. Oil fired central heating. NB: the electrical circuit, appliances and heating system have not been tested by the agents.
The property is currently configured as a four star two bedroom holiday home, with an integrated self contained annexe used as a separate private dwelling. The house has been successfully let through English Country Cottages for several years. Current tariffs range from £540 to £1368 per week. Changeover days are Saturdays for viewing purposes.
Fixtures, fittings and contents
With the exception of some personal belongings, all are available by separate negotiation.
Energy Performance Certificate Rating: E
Council Tax Band: currently business rated.
Land Registry Title number: CL180186
Every effort has been made with these details but accuracy is not guaranteed and they are not to form part of a contract. Representation or warranty is not given in relation to this property. An Energy Performance Certificate is available upon request. All negotiations must be with H Tiddy. Before proceeding to purchase, buyers should consider an independent check of all aspects of the property. General Data Protection Regulations: We treat all data confidentially and with the utmost care and respect. If you do not wish your personal details to be used by us for any specific purpose, then you can unsubscribe or change your communication preferences and contact methods at any time by informing us either by email or in writing at our office in St Mawes.